Wednesday 1 April 2015

Custom Graphic

I created an image on a letter-sized, portrait sheet using Adobe Photoshop.  To do so, I limit myself to only using custom graphics - brushes, patterns, gradients, blending modes, etc. 
I used the gradient fill to bring out both the sky and grass, as to ensure the end design wasn't flat.
I created two brush designs to fill in the stars, using the pen tool and added stars to the sky in a variety of different sized brush strokes.  I then used a pre-created brush stroke to add grey detail and a little depth into the moon.
On the grass, I also used a pre-created brush stroke to add detail.  I used a variety of different greens to add further texture whilst using this brush. 
As far as the patterns went, I created a rug.  To do this, I took an image from the internet, and attempted to get rid of any seams using tools such as offset and clone.  I then went on the background image and used the lasso tool to draw a shape before using the mask layers to reveal the pattern behind it.  I experimented chaining/unchaining the pattern/texture and skewing it to help create a sort of perspective.  After adding the silhouette of a lady stargazing, I placed the same pattern over the top of the whole image, lowered the opacity, and used the filters to create an overall more vibrant tone. 
I ensured that the final result makes some use of the elements of 2D Design (weight, balance, color harmony, etc.) and that the entire canvas is filled.
The pattern was made from the following image:


The overall finished image came out as the following:


No comments:

Post a Comment