Thursday 5 February 2015

Caligramme

Aside from the logo design project currently dominating my blog, I also looked into caligrammes. Using only Adobe Illustrator, I completed a caligramme of the globe. Travel is something I am very passionate about and plan on continuing to do it throughout my life.

 To begin this caligramme, I drew out a circular shape with the pen tool, then put text following the shape, leaving the fill blank and the outline/stroke black. On the outline of the planet, I chose to write a poem that I find to be intriguing and just like in general, relating to the topic. It reads: "San Fransisco has a park. Albuquerque is beautiful from a distance; it is purple at five in the evening. New York is Egyptian, especially from the little rise on the hill." I then added text (listed countries/locations eg.."Bali~ Cornwall~ Japan~" etc... vertically inside the planet to create the outline of land. Inside the countries/continents, I fitted a custom type, filling the area. I used a variety of greens for this typography to create the illusion of land. Since I was creating a whole planet with words, I decided to write "Words Shape The World" and "Travel". I feel this is kind of a play on words and might cause people to think or consider the different meanings of that. To create the illusion or imagery of water in the ocean, I drew wave shaped lines of different lengths, then, using different typography, sizes, and color for each line, I wrote words that connote the ocean such as "Wave," "Surf," "Depth," etc.... I left the continents that appear white blank (on the Pole), as I figured any writing would taint the simpleness of it, possibly causing it to appear cluttered.
I have also used Adobe Photoshop to create calligram of a different style. Although not assigned in this class currently, I thought I'd include it anyway as did many projects like this last year whilst earning my Art and Design Diploma.

No comments:

Post a Comment