Wednesday 4 February 2015

Initial Logo Ideas

After spending some time deliberating between the my two favorite company ideas- the skate shop and the smoothie shop- I decided to further develop the idea of the smoothie shop. I feel this company idea has unique and individual aspect that will make it fun to experiment and play with further. The next step was to come up with potential logo ideas for this company. The following are seven of my initial ideas, allowing me to pick a route I want to go down and further develop, fine tuning the design. I have yet to consider or add color or fine tune any of the designs- just getting my ideas down onto paper. 1) On this page, I also messed around with company names. I wanted something unique and Hawaiian related, therefore, listed a variety of Hawaiian words that were a possibility. None of them were easy to pronounce or as recognizable as the simple "Aloha", so that is the name I decided upon. The first logo idea of mine was influenced by the tropical, Hawaiian, exotic theme of the smoothie bar. Inspired by a location I love, I chose Hawaii's state flower: the Hibiscus flower. I used this to decorate the custom typography. Because this adds a lot of detail around and behind the name of the company, I attempted to make the font clear, large, and fairly simple so it is not suffocated and overtaken by the decoration. The "Aloha" is what I wanted to stand out the most in this design as it is what makes the companies name original, hence the word "smoothies" being smaller, thiner, and slightly less visible. Even though it the "smoothies" is a little less visible than "Aloha", I feel it still works and stands out, as the shading in the leave adds emphasis, balancing out the detail of the flowers and drawing the eye in.
2) The second design lead me to play with two variations. I wanted to include the actual image of a smoothie, overflowing with fruit to convey the connotations of fresh and juicy smoothies. This furthers what the company would be selling, which I believe is an aspect that helps make a logo strong. I believe it would also allow me to develop a strong, bright color scheme. Out of the two, I prefer the top one. They are both incredibly rough sketches, but I feel it is clearer than the bottom one. The reason behind the design for the second one, however, was I like the idea of intertwining pictures with typography. This is a little difficult though however, as sometimes it can make to typography unclear.
3) The third logo I have chosen connotes more so the vibes of the lifestyle many of the customers would foster. Once this company gathers recognition and popularity, I would like to expand it to become a chain, but without compromising quality. I would locate these smoothie bars along the beaches of Hawaii and California, appealing to the surf crowd and beach-goers. Due to this reason, I have designed this logo to draw in customers and appear relatable to the target audience. I used a slightly pictogram style of drawing, using three C-shaped curves to create a wave image. With the back end overlapping this wave, I then drew a surfboard, acting as an underline for the company's name. I believe this is an important aspect as it pulls the writing in, creating a more compact logo. The typography within this design is much like my first logo. The "Aloha" is large and bold to appear clear. The "smoothies" is thinner and more italicized, appearing sleek and full of speed.
4) My fourth logo design has connotations of the exotic theme I want my smoothie bar to convey. I chose to use a humming bird with a large drop from it's beak, in which the company name will wrap around. I liked the idea of using this bird, as it is beautiful and fast. It also is dependent on nectar, creating thoughts of juicy, fresh and nature. To create it to be different, recognizable, and easile replicable, I used fluid, flowing shapes to create the shape of the bird. I believe this style of design also creates it to be unique and has great potential for a bright color scheme.
5) This logo idea was also inspired by aspects of the state of Hawaii. I used the idea of volcanoes. Despite the terrible sketch of the initial design, the idea behind this logo is the volcano- symbolizing Hawaii- is spewing smoothie. It would be active, forceful logo and demand attention due to the nature of volcanoes. I think the idea is good in theory, but I don't think it would make for a very interesting logo so will probably not go down this route.
6) I like this design mostly due to it's simplicity. It connotes the beachy, surfing vibes through the use of a rugged tortoise, however, it is not heavily related to smoothies so I'm not sure if it would be the most effective logo. I think the typography matches it well, despite the rough sketch, I personally feel it follows the rustic, laid back style. This is exemplified by running it off the background design so that it is not contained, also causing it to pull focus. I would probably use a range of blues for the design, and white for the typography.
7) The last logo design I created is the 'hang loose' design. This follows the beach, surf-skate, laid back culture prominent in the locations I wish to open my smoothie bars. This is another occasion in which I think incorporating the typography in the design, morphing it together in a way, allows it to be unique and eye-catching.

No comments:

Post a Comment